Monday, January 9, 2012

Ladies Who Lunch: Taverna San Trovaso - Venice!

In the Fall of 1990, I made my first journey to Italy.  Even though my Grandfather was from the Tuscan region, I had never made it across the border until this point.  I spent a good deal of time exploring Rome and Florence.  While I enjoyed them both immensely, Venice held a special place in my heart.  I have been a major fan of the Diane Lane film “A Little Romance” since I was in my young teens and part of the plot revolves around Venice.  In the film, Venice is presented as an extremely romantic city and in real life it didn’t disappoint!  If you haven’t ever seen the film, I highly recommend that you do so!!
On that first trip to Venice, I dug through guidebooks to find good dining and the recommendations were sometimes hit, sometimes miss.  One that was a definite hit was Taverna San Trovaso.  We had a delightful meal in an atmosphere that I had found to be very neighborhood Venetian, complete with wine bottles lining the walls and in the windows.
It was so memorable, that when I returned to Venice in 1997, Taverna San Trovaso was on my list.  Again, I enjoyed not only an excellent dinner, but also met a very interesting couple from Portugal.  I returned a second time on that trip and was again very pleased!
Christmas 2011 was spent in Venice and I put it again on my dining destination list, although I questioned whether my impression of it would still hold up after 14 years.  To my delight, Taverna San Trovaso had not changed one bit and the food was as excellent as I had remembered.
We went to Taverna San Trovaso for lunch on our first full day in Venice.  We each started with an Arugula Salad with Tomatoes and Carrots that was very fresh and flavorful.  On our previous trips, we had eaten a variety of dishes, but had never tried the pizza.  Since I am a pizza aficionado, I decided that it would be the true test of how good they really were!  I had the Pizza 4 Stagione minus the ham (tomato sauce, mozzarella, mushrooms and artichoke hearts) and my dining mate had the Pizza San Trovaso (tomato sauce, mozzarella, prosciutto, olive, sausage, mushroom and artichoke hearts).  Both pizzas were nicely baked, a little bit of char on the bottom, crisp on the outside, fluffy-chewy on the inside.  The toppings were also delicious and the sauce was nicely seasoned.

Considering I have now been going to Taverna San Trovaso for the last 20 years, I am pleased to say that memory does serve me correctly and that Taverna San Trovaso will stay on my list for future visits to romantic Venice!

No comments:

Post a Comment